- the capacity of each parent to understand child’s needs
- the ability of the parents to meet the child’s needs
- the stability of the home environment
- the relationship between the child and parents, siblings, and other involved family members
- cultural considerations, such as religious practices, family /culture traditions, diet, and language
- the child's wishes
- the child’s need for continuity
- parental discipline methods
- the age and gender of the child
- visitation agreements
- transition between homes
- educational decision making/involvement
- health care and medical needs, including therapy
- appropriate supports and services for the needs of the child
- social and recreational opportunities
- the individual assessment report that includes test scores for both intellectual functioning levels and academic performance levels
- behavioral information and suggestions for instructional approaches that address the unique needs of the child
- medical records that document the disability and outline prescribed treatment
- the current IEP
- psychological reports, speech evaluations, assistive technology evaluations, functional behavioral evaluations, occupational therapy evaluations, and physical therapy evaluations
Financial Planning Association, Divorce and Your Special Needs Child
This web site offers information on issues of child custody, visitation, and support and property division.
Official U.S. Department of Education description of IDEA Part B (ages 3-21) and Part C (ages birth-3).
A Guide to the Individualized Education Program (DOE)
Information about special education and IEPs; U.S. Department of Education.
Social Security Administration Application Process
Disability determinations are generally made by a disability determination service (DDS) and can take several months. However, if a child has a diagnosis that provides for presumptive eligibility, a letter from the doctor certifying the diagnosis and its severity will allow for the patient to begin to receive services for up to 6 months while the application is being processed.