- What is ADHD and what causes it?
- What are the symptoms of ADHD?
- How is it diagnosed?
- What is the prognosis?
- What is the risk for other family members or future babies?
- What treatments/therapies/medications are recommended or available?
- How will my child and our family be impacted?
- I don't want to get my child addicted to drugs by starting them on stimulants.
- I have heard that stimulants are associated with heart problems. Is there another safer remedy such as a diet that will help my child?
- How long will my child need to be on medication?
- I've heard about medication holidays. What does that mean?
- What are side effects of stimulant medications?
- Will my child be shorter if he takes stimulants?
- Why doesn’t my insurance cover behavior therapy for ADHD?
I have heard that stimulants are associated with heart problems. Is there another safer remedy such as a diet that will help my child?
Books for Children:
- Otto Learns about His Medicine: A Story About Medication for Children With ADHD [Galvin: 2001]
- Being in Control: Natural Techniques for Increasing Your Potential and Creativity for Success in School [Alster: 2001]
- Eagle Eyes: A Child's Guide to Paying Attention (The Coping Series) [Gehret: 2009]
- Jumpin' Johnny Get Back to Work: A Child's Guide to Adhd-Hyperactivity [Gordon: 1993]
- Shelley, the Hyperactive Turtle [Moss: 1989]
- Learning to Slow Down and Pay Attention [Nadeau: 2004]
- Putting on the Brakes: Understanding and Taking Control of Your ADD or ADHD [Quinn: 2009]
- Cory Stories: A Kid’s Book About Living with ADHD [Kraus: 2004]
- The Adventures of Phoebe Flower: Stories of a Girl with ADHD [Roberts: 2010]
- The Survival Guide for Kids with ADHD [Taylor: 2012]
Books for Parents:
- Smart but Scattered [Dawson: 2009]
- ADHD: What Every Parent Needs to Know (2nd ed.) [Reiff: 2011]
- Taking Charge of ADHD (3rd ed.) [Barkley: 2013]
- You and Your A.D.D. Child: How to Understand and Help Kids With Attention Deficit Disorder [Warren: 1995]
Children and Adults with ADHD (CHADD)
A national non-profit organization, with numerous local chapters, that provides education, advocacy, and support for individuals with ADHD; Children and Adults with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder.
Understood for Learning & Attention Issues
A collaboration between 15 non-profit agencies to provide resources to parents of children with learning and attention disorders.
Provides links to high-quality sources of information about ADHD; a service of the National Library of Medicine and National Institutes of Health.
What is ADHD? (KidsHealth)
Health information for parents, kids, and teens. This is the parent's page on ADHD, see the tabs at the top for the pages focused on kids and teens; sponsored by Nemours Foundation.
The Diet Factor in ADHD (AAP)
A comprehensive overview of the role of dietary methods for treatment of children with ADHD when pharmacotherapy has proven unsatisfactory or unacceptable; American Academy of Pediatrics.
ADHD Information (AAP)
List of publications for parents of children with ADHD; American Academy of Pediatrics.
ADHD Information (NIMH)
Overview and links to more information from the National Institute of Mental Health
ADHD: Parents' Medication Guide ( 1.1 MB)
Forty-five page booklet that helps youngsters and their families better understand the treatments for ADHD; prepared by the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry and American Psychiatric Association (2013).
See all Clinical Social Worker (LCSW, MSW) services providers (230) in our database.
See all Developmental - Behavioral Pediatrics services providers (5) in our database.
See all Developmental Pediatrics services providers (5) in our database.
See all Family Counseling Agencies services providers (113) in our database.
See all Marriage & Family Therapist (LMFT, LFT) services providers (54) in our database.
See all Mental Health Counselor (LPC, CMHC) services providers (302) in our database.
See all Neuropsychology services providers (28) in our database.
See all Outpatient Community Mental Health Agencies services providers (74) in our database.
See all Outpatient Private Therapy Practices services providers (274) in our database.
See all Pediatric Cardiology services providers (3) in our database.
See all Pediatric Neurology services providers (10) in our database.
See all Psychiatrist, Child-18 services providers (30) in our database.
See all Psychologist, Child-18 services providers (151) in our database.
See all School Districts services providers (52) in our database.
For other services related to this condition, browse our Services categories or search our database.
Clinical Trials in ADHD (clinicaltrials.gov)
Trial listings for ADHD with "completed," "recruiting," and "active" status noted.
Mental Health Clinical Trials (NIMH)
Links to descriptions of clinical trials related to numerous mental health conditions, including ADHD, anxiety, and depression; National Institute of Mental Health.
|Author:||Lynne M Kerr, MD, PhD - 3/2012|
|Compiled and edited by:||URLEND Trainees, 2011-2012 - 3/2012|
|Content Last Updated:||4/2015|
Taking Charge of ADHD .
Third Edition ed. The Guilford Press; 2013. 978-1462507894 http://www.amazon.com/Taking-Charge-ADHD-Third-Authoritative/dp/146250...
Smart but scattered.
Guilford Press; 2009. 978-1593854454 http://www.amazon.com/Smart-but-Scattered-Revolutionary-Executive/dp/1...
Otto Learns About His Medicine: A Story About Medication for Children With ADHD.
3rd ed. Washington DC: Magination Press; 2001. 1557987726 http://www.apa.org/pubs/magination/4417726.aspx
Otto, a fidgety young car, has trouble paying attention in school, has trouble remembering important information, and is unable to listen long enough to learn how to drive. Otto and his parents visit a special mechanic who explains about "car medicine" that can help him control his behavior. This delightful story addresses the concerns felt by children who have been prescribed drugs to reduce hyperactive behavior.
Klassen AF, Miller A, Fine S.
Health-related quality of life in children and adolescents who have a diagnosis of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder.
Pediatrics. 2004;114(5):e541-7. PubMed abstract
Cory stories: a kid's book about living with Adhd.
Magination Press; 2004. 978-1591471547 http://www.amazon.com/Cory-Stories-Kids-About-Living/dp/1591471540
Learning to Slow Down and Pay Attention.
3rd ed. Magination Press; 2004. 978-1591471554 http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Slow-Down-Pay-Attention/dp/1591471559
Practice parameter for the assessment and treatment of children and adolescents with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder.
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2007;46(7):894-921. PubMed abstract
Historical ADHD guideline from 2007.
ADHD: What Every Parent Needs to Know .
2nd ed. American Academy of Pediatrics; 2011. 978-1581104516 http://www.amazon.com/ADHD-What-Every-Parent-Needs/dp/1581104510
Percy jackson and the olympians.
Disney-Hyperion; 2014. 978-1484707234 http://www.amazon.com/Jackson-Olympians-Paperback-covers-poster/dp/148...
The adventures of phoebe flower: stories of a girl with Adhd.
Advantage Books; 2010. 978-0971460966 http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Phoebe-Flower-Stories-Girl/dp/0971460...
Shaw M, Hodgkins P, Caci H, Young S, Kahle J, Woods AG, Arnold LE.
A systematic review and analysis of long-term outcomes in attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: effects of treatment and non-treatment.
BMC Med. 2012;10:99. PubMed abstract / Full Text
Survival guide for kids with Adhd .
ReadHowYouWant; 2012. 978-1442996823 http://www.amazon.com/The-Survival-Guide-Kids-ADHD/dp/144299682X
Wilens TE, Adamson J, Monuteaux MC, Faraone SV, Schillinger M, Westerberg D, Biederman J.
Effect of prior stimulant treatment for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder on subsequent risk for cigarette smoking and alcohol and drug use disorders in adolescents.
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2008;162(10):916-21. PubMed abstract
Wolraich M, Brown L, Brown RT, DuPaul G, Earls M, Feldman HM, Ganiats TG, Kaplanek B, Meyer B, Perrin J, Pierce K, Reiff M,
Stein MT, Visser S.
ADHD: Clinical Practice Guideline for the Diagnosis, Evaluation, and Treatment of Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder in Children and Adolescents.
Pediatrics. 2011;128(5):1007-22. PubMed abstract / Full Text