- Nutritional services by a registered dietitian to help gain, maintain, or lose weight as needed. These services will be required throughout life.
- A physical therapist who will assist with the hypotonia and decreased muscle strength to help keep up with developmental milestones.
- Genetic counseling for case management purposes (diagnosis, risk recurrence, education, identification of recourses, and follow up psycho-social support).
- Endocrine evaluations to evaluate growth and other endocrine problems (e.g., diabetes, hypothyroidism and adrenal issues) that develop.
- Orthopedic evaluation for scoliosis and joint problems secondary to excessive weight.
- Ophthalmology assessment for strabismus and to examine for other visual problems.
- Dental evaluations for enamel defects and help with dry mouth.
- Gastroenterology evaluation and management of hyperphagia, rumination, gastric dilation, and inability to vomit, all common in PWS.
- Assessments by psychologists or psychiatrists and assistance with behavior problems commonly associated with PWS.
- Educational and developmental assistance from occupational and speech therapists to address cognitive issues from infancy through adulthood and includes vocational training.
- Social worker involvement for support and assistance in identifying resources and life long planning, including assisted living arrangements and residential group homes.
Genetics in Primary Care Institute (AAP)
The goal of this site is to increase collaboration in the care of children with known or suspected genetic disorders. It includes health supervision guidelines and other useful resources; represents a collaboration among the Health Resources & Services Administration, the Maternal and Child Health Bureau, and the American Academy of Pediatrics.
See all Clinical Social Worker (LCSW, MSW) services providers (230) in our database.
See all General Dentistry for Children services providers (152) in our database.
See all Group Homes services providers (38) in our database.
See all Independent Living services providers (110) in our database.
See all Nutrition/Dietary services providers (54) in our database.
See all Occupational Therapy, Pediatric services providers (42) in our database.
See all Pediatric Endocrinology services providers (2) in our database.
See all Pediatric Gastroenterology services providers (3) in our database.
See all Pediatric Genetic Counseling services providers (5) in our database.
See all Pediatric Ophthalmology services providers (8) in our database.
See all Pediatric Orthopedics services providers (20) in our database.
See all Physical Therapy services providers (66) in our database.
See all Psychiatrist, Child-18 services providers (30) in our database.
See all Psychologist, Child-18 services providers (151) in our database.
See all Speech/Language Therapy services providers (81) in our database.
See all Vocational Education services providers (183) in our database.
For other services related to this condition, browse our Services categories or search our database.
|Author:||Merlin G. Butler, MD, PhD - 9/2008|
|Content Last Updated:||11/2014|