- Fatigue: may persist after all injuries are healed. Can affect other functions, motor skills, speech, concentration;
- Forgetfulness: can be temporary, memory of recent events is often more affected, may affect only certain types of information;
- Distractibility: difficulty concentrating or completing tasks because of surrounding noises or activities;
- Poor organization: difficulty identifying steps to complete a task or ordering and prioritizing tasks;
- Irritability and anger: trouble controlling emotions, may act out verbally or physically with sudden temper flare-ups;
- Sexual inappropriateness: inability to control or inhibit sexual thoughts or behaviors, engaging in embarrassing or inappropriate comments or gestures;
- Impulsiveness: acting without thinking, interrupting, taking risks without regard to consequences;
- Social immaturity: lacking age appropriate social skills, unable to interpret reactions, unable to fit in with peers;
- Self-centeredness: unaware of other's feelings, not sympathetic or able to understand how behavior affects others;
- Passivity: difficulty getting started, appears unmotivated, daydreams, doesn't cause any problems but cannot initiate or plan; and
- Depression: lacks interest in life, withdraws from friends and activities, feels hopeless and that life isn't worth living.
- new teachers, moving up in grades and changing schools (grade school to junior high, junior high to high school);
- physical growth, puberty and adolescence;
- developing age-appropriate emotional responses, humor, and social interactions;
- increasing academic requirements with the need for better time management;
- expected increase in the level of independence and the abilty to acquire one's own transportation; and
- graduation, moving away from home, attending college or holding a job.
Ylvisaker M, Turkstra L, Coehlo C, Yorkston K, Kennedy M, Sohlberg MM, Avery J.
Behavioural interventions for children and adults with behaviour disorders after TBI: a systematic review of the evidence.
Brain Inj. 2007;21(8):769-805. PubMed abstract
|Author:||Teresa Such-Neibar, DO - 11/2008|
|Content Last Updated:||1/2011|